I have been refining my toothcare protocol. This is where I have arrived thus far:
1. Floss every day. Experiment with different brands and types of dental floss. But, be consistent. There is nothing that irritates me more (well, I might be exaggerating there) than “alternative” toothcare protocols that omit flossing. It is perhaps even more important than brushing. Bacteria looooove little tight, dark spaces.
2. Brush with twice a day ToothSoap. Go on, google it, read their spiel then come back. This product works wonders.
3. Add tumeric to your ToothSoap at least once a day. This is my latest refinement. Tumeric is a potent anti-inflammatory. It helps heal wounds and disinfect. It removes stains from tooth enamel. When I started using tumeric, my teeth ached right down to the roots. That might not sound like much of a recommendation. But I am a true believer in Naturophathy and I just knew that ache meant my teeth and mouth were cleaning themselves to the very core. Since then, there is a palpable and discernible change in the feeling of my gums. They just feel tighter, smoother and less irritated.
4. Rinse with a solution of Magnesium Chloride and water. Take a 200mL glass bottle. Add 2-3 tsp McgCl2 salts and fill with filtered water. After brushing, swish a little swill round the mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing.
5. If you notice your mouth is dry – mine dries due to seasonal alleriges provoking mouth-breathing (yuck) – put some coconut oil (pure, food grade) in your mouth and swill around before swallowing. DIY lubrication, and coconut oil is proven to fight tooth decay.